Professor of History of Music
In 1987 Prof. Summer received his diploma in Piano from the Cherubini Conservatory in Florence. In 1992 he graduated from the University of Florence in Letters majoring in the History of Modern and Contemporary Music, with a dissertation entitled “The Instrumental work of Antonio Scontrino”. Since 1993, he has been employed as an assistant to Prof. Marcello de Angelis of the department of Music History at the University of Florence, and has taught and lectured on Music History for numerous schools and associations in and around Florence. As a Musicologist, his specialization is in 19th and 20th century composers.
His publications include:
– Antonio Scontrino: An Exponent of the Italian Instrumental Re-birth in the late 19th cent. in “Ottocento e Oltre”, F. Izzo & J. Streicher eds., Roma, Pantheon, 1993.
– The renewal of Italian Music: Alfredo Casella and Gian Francesco Malipiero, in 51st Settimana Musicale Chigiana, Siena, Accademia Musicale Chiagiana, 1994.
– The Instrumental Aspect of the work of Riccardo Zandonai, in “Atti della Giornata di Studio Riccardo Zandonai nel 50° della morte”, Rovereto, Accademia rovertana degli Agiati, 1995.
– Theater programs for the 1996 & 1997 lyrical seasons for the Teatro del Giglio in Lucca.
– The Instrumental works of Antonio Scontrino in “Antonio Scontrino, Musicology and catalogue of works”, Trapani, Ente Luglio Musicale Trapanese, 1999.